Florida probate attorney Justin Stivers talks about why you may need a probate attorney in the state of Florida even if you live outside of the state. A loved one’s passing is always difficult, but it is even more complicated when a relative lived in another state. Everything from planning funeral services to selling and distributing assets may involve extra legwork, which is particularly difficult if you are unfamiliar with the area where your loved one spent their final years.
Florida’s probate and inheritance laws are complicated, and even simple estates can involve a great deal of paperwork, phone calls, and court processes. Fortunately, Stivers Law has the ability to handle all legal matters related to Florida probate no matter where our clients reside. We handle probate cases remotely via email and phone, ensuring that beneficiaries receive their intended inheritance without the need to travel. Call us at (305) 456-3255 or fill out our contact form to set up your first strategy session today.
Why Do I Have to Go Through Probate in Florida If I Don’t Live There?
The law usually requires probate proceedings to take place in the state where the decedent’s property is located. If your relative owned immovable assets (like a home or other real estate), probate is likely opened in the state where the assets are located. If your loved one owned property in more than one state, you could end up handling multiple probate proceedings in different locations.
You may need the help of a licensed Florida probate attorney if:
- Your loved one lived in Florida at the end of his or her life
- Your loved one had a house, vacation home, or timeshare in Florida at the time of death and you are trying to put the property on the market
- Your loved one held real estate, bank accounts, or other assets in Florida
- Your loved one shared ownership of a property in Florida with someone else
Why We’re the Smart Choice to Serve as Your Florida Attorney
Do you live out of state? If you’re not in Florida, we can help you. We work with clients nationwide who need to go through probate quickly, efficiently, and with minimal stress. Whether you require full or partial probate proceedings, we talk to our clients like real people, streamlining the process to make our clients’ lives as easy as possible.
Why should you choose us for your loved one’s probate proceedings?
- You can stay home. You don’t need to come to Florida, or to probate court, or even to our offices. Our attorney can meet with you remotely and discuss your needs and biggest concerns, sending you all necessary documents electronically. We also stay in constant communication with you as probate progresses, ensuring you are informed every step of the way.
- Our ability to practice law statewide. Only attorneys who are licensed to practice law in Florida can file a Florida probate proceeding. While our offices are located in Coral Gables, we can handle probate cases in any county in Florida, making us ideal for cases that involve multiple properties across the state.
- We are familiar with local courts and laws. As locals, we know the unique state requirements of closing an estate as well as the inner workings of the probate court. We also act as your “boots on the ground” in Florida, able to investigate any holdups or delays in your case.
- We have a network of trusted professionals. Many of our clients are tasked with clearing out, listing, or selling a loved one’s Florida property—and they may not know where to start. If you need help, we can act as a full-service concierge for all of your needs, connecting you with removal and cleaning services and a local realtor who can help you sell the property.
- We let you know your options at no cost to you. We provide a 60-minute strategy session with every potential probate client to learn the specifics of their case. Once you know where you stand, you can retain our services or move forward on your own with a better understanding of the process.
No matter what you require, Stivers Law can help you get it done from start to finish. Fill out our contact form, or call us at (305) 456-3255 to set up your first strategy session today.